Monday, October 15, 2012

Money for transmission?

I really hate ads like this, mentioning stuff like "selling because I need this".  You see the same crap on Pawn stars (TV show about a pawn shop in michigan).  It'll be some guy bringing in some crappy 19" tube tv, and he'll be like "I need $200, I'm not leaving without it", when the TV has a value of about $5.


Now granted, he's not necessarily asking for $725 for his crappy pinball machine, he's just implying that by saying he needs a new transmission that costs $725 and it would be nice if he didn't have to pay for it.

So let's assume this is in great condition, it's still an EM.  Of course he DOES have one of the slightly more sought after ones (if your into that), but $725 would be for a really nice one (that works).  He claims $150 in repairs to top cabinet (which means he had a tech come over and adjust some leaf switches) which is probably the real reason he's getting rid of it, he can't fix it himself and he can't afford to pay someone else to.

1. The top glass is missing (actually the backglass, top glass would be the playfield glass).  That's sort of a problem, in fact it probably drops the value by at least $300.
2. fuse blows for top cabinet (yea, that's usually where most of the fuses are).  That means it has shorts somewhere, and it will take a tech (or an experienced pinball person) a few hours to figure out, what is that time worth?
3. playfield worn out?  Oh lovely, it'll so be worth fixing then won't it?

"Does work as 1 player unit, meets my working needs".. Then your needs are pretty low, because a blowing fuse is sort of a problem.

He does say nothing under $100, so maybe I should offer him $100 to take it off his hands?  I can always re-theme it to something else since the playfield is shot and the backglass is missing.


**Update**

He's revised his ad a few times.  By revise, I mean he posted a new ad and didn't delete the old one either.  He's now asking for $150, I mean $200 or best offer?  Wait what?  Which is it?!!  If it were digital I would happily take it off his hands, but I just can't deal with electromechanical.  My first pin was an EM, and it was so hard to get those leaf switches adjusted right.

No comments:

Post a Comment